Ironbridge and Broseley Station

Ironbridge and Broseley Station was opened in 1862 as part of the Severn Valley Railway Line. The Station was adjacent to the famous Ironbridge and had two platforms and a building, similar in style to that of Bewdley (without the station house). There was also a wooden goods shed and a footbridge which crossed the railway line. The station closed in 1963 and was demolished in 1966 to provide car parking for visitors to the Ironbridge. Until its closure on 25 November 1956, the signal box controlled railway traffic around the station and the level crossing that led to the Iron Bridge. Closure of the signal box resulted in the single line token instruments being relocated to the Station Master's office.

Interestingly, photographs of the station running-in board show the station name as "IRON-BRIDGE & BROSELEY" (with a hyphen). The cast iron nameplate on the signal box read "IRON BRIDGE & BROSELEY SIGNAL BOX" (Iron and Bridge being separate words without hyphen). Although thought by some people to have been closed as part of the ‘Beeching axe’ in 1963, its planned closure pre-dated his report. Virtually all traces of the station platforms and building have been swept away and a "pay and display" car park presently occupies the site.


A partial view of Ironbridge & Broseley station looking towards Buildwas. Note the gated level crossing (the original rails may still be seen set in the road at this point). Main station buildings to the right with an open lattice steel footbridge at the far end of the platform. (Note: the weeds in the track-bed, the top of the signal box has been removed and the brickwork base roofed over).
Photograph: P Baughan/John Marshall Collection/Kidderminster Railway Museum


Ironbridge and Broseley station from a colour Postcard dated 1904. If you look carefully you can see that the roof of the station building extension only has rafters and has not at that time received its roof slates.


Ironbridge and Broseley Station after closure and just prior to demolition. The photo demonstrates how similar it was to Bewdley, minus the station house.